Locomotive interior detail
Some tips on detailing the interiors of locomotives for help in designing trains
- Take a look at the interior detail of 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief and other train sets with diesel locomotives for ideas. The engine in 10020 is an inline block rather than a V block (In the US, ALCO used V, and EMD used inline, for the most part)
- For a V block engine prime mover such as used here: ATSF FA unit interior using the tilting top hinge with a 2x2 or 1x2 top will be very helpful. (this is the same techique that LEGO uses in some Model Team sets)
Diesel electric engines will differ in their internals from diesel hydraulics, as diesel electrics use a generator, and diesel hydraulics a pump.
- Alco 244 engine internals American Locomotive Works engine manual
- EMD SD-40 Operator's Manual
- GE Transportation Systems - Locomotive Info Sheets
- UK centric Diesel basics Good English Electric diagram
- Railway-Technical.com diesel background LOADS of technical info to read about on that page and its related pages.